Awakening

"Wiggins Sterling, president of Supernova Corporation in Zlatan, has been missing for half a year. His 15-year-old son, Dyrroth Sterling, will take over the company's presidency in his place." The news flashed across every screen on the streets of Zlatan. As the president of the largest energy group in the city, Wiggins made countless contributions to the development of Zlatan. To many of its citizens, including his only son Dyrroth, Wiggins was the hero of the city. Meanwhile, in the conference room at the headquarters of the corporation, Dyrroth was attending his first meeting as president with the board of directors.

"We are deeply sorry that your father has left us. You are Mr. Wiggins' successor, but you are too young to bring us more profit." "We, as members of the board of directors, have decided to run the company on your behalf. Of course, you will still be the president of Supernova, but only nominally." Dyrroth hadn't expected to hear such words from an executive, but he still decided to fight for what was rightfully his. "First of all, my father is only missing, not dead. I've sent bounties everywhere to find his whereabouts." "My father has dedicated his life to Supernova, he poured his blood, sweat and tears into it. I won't be leaving it in the hands of anyone else, and I most certainly won't let his efforts be for naught!" However, Dyrroth's determination proved insufficient to sway the board's decision, as another executive then surprised him with the cruel truth. "But do you really know the truth about our business? About your father?" "To tell you the truth, Supernova owes the power and influence it holds today to all the black markets under its control. They are the most important source of revenue for the company!"

With no one on his side, Dyrroth was forced to accept the board's decision. He couldn't believe that the man he had always looked up to controlled the black markets in the city. Dyrroth returned home, and gazed over the rows of honors that decked the walls of his father's study. It was the first time he'd ever carefully observed the place, and one certificate in particular caught his attention: one commemorating Dyrroth, at eight years old, setting a school record in a sports competition. He could still vividly recall how he showed this first-ever prize of his to his father: instead of praising him, Wiggins scolded Dyrroth for being sidetracked from his schoolwork. Dyrroth had never again participated in such sports events. He took off the frame with the certificate inside, and an envelope slipped out from behind it. Upon that envelope, the words "To Dyrroth" were written.

"Dear Dyrroth. If you're reading this, something has probably happened to me. But there is one thing you must know, and that is the truth about our company's past. When I was just starting the business, I was invited to join the Zlatan Trade Association where I got to know all the city's greatest business tycoons in the city, and they proved a huge help to our company's development. Yet I was also forced into becoming involved in underground black markets. By the time I wanted out, it was already far too late. I once tried to make you a profiteer, one able to take over the business, but it didn't work out. One day, you will have to deal with those experienced board members, who may well change you into someone else entirely. I can't say for sure. I had no choice, but you still do. If you are tired of the shackles that constrain you, then seek the V.E.N.O.M. Squad, and you will learn the truth about Zlatan! No matter what happens, I hope you can stay true to yourself, Dyrroth.
With love, your father, Wiggins."

Three months later Dyrroth stood before a burning building, armed to the teeth. This was the third black market base he had destroyed. "I know your disappearance has something to do with the black markets, father. I promise I'll find you." "No matter how many may exist under Supernova's control, I swear I'll destroy them all. This is the price they must pay!" Dyrroth took out his father's letter and threw it into the fire... He hadn't expected that his actions would draw the attention of V.E.N.O.M. Squad. They'd come to realize that, aside from their own number, there was a brash lone warrior fighting within Zlatan. But his reckless behavior had also caught the attention of the underground tycoons, who had sent people to hunt him down. While out on another solo operation, Dyrroth was attacked by cyborgs and shot multiple times before eventually passing out.

He found himself inside a hidden repurposed warehouse upon waking up, his body cybernetically enhanced. Gusion was standing nearby, a cold look on his face and his arms folded. "This is V.E.N.O.M.'s secret base, and you're safe here for now." "But, if you insist on continuing with your rash behavior, well... We can't promise we'll save you again next time." "Go home. Go back to being a good little rich kid. Leave the black markets to us."

Dyrroth stepped out from the pod and looked over his modified body, before returning his gaze to Gusion with an unswerving determination. "My father told me about V.E.N.O.M., and I know of your accomplishments." "I won't leave the black markets alone, for I must find my father. Now that we have a common goal, why not let me join you?" "From now on, I'll be a rich kid no more. I'll be a V.E.N.O.M. Cobra!"

Darkness rises

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Old Dreams Never Die

Chapter 3

Time of Lunar Eclipse